Thursday, January 14, 2010

1/14/2010 - Home Sweet Home

I was discharged on Tuesday, 1/12, as scheduled. This round of chemo was uneventful, thanks to your prayers.

My blood count has started to go down, as expected. I already had one blood transfusion on Monday, before my last 2 doses of chemo. Just like the last time, I am expected to have a blood test twice a week and a consultation with the doctor once a week. Based on the trend of my previous chemos, I will most likely get one or two transfusions a week until my bone marrow is able to produce an acceptable amount of blood cells. Then, the doctor will send me back to the hospital for my LAST round of chemo. Woohoo! I am getting close to the end of the treatment! That's unless I go through a bone marrow transplant. Rob and I are getting less and less convinced that the benefit is worth the risk. But, until we give the final decision, things can still change.

In the meantime, I have to make sure that I do not get any infection nor mouth sore. This means taking four times longer when brushing my teeth after each meal - regular brushing, swishing with salt/baking soda solution, an anti-fungal medication, and Biotene to help with the dry mouth that comes with chemo. I also take plenty of medications, Chinese tonic drinks, vitamins and other supplements to repair and strengthen the body for the next round of chemo. It feels like I spend half my day just going through my "rituals".

I am getting excited about getting back to normal life soon. Part of me also wonders what "normal" life will be like after all the treatments. I am pretty sure it will include many new things like regular doctor's visits, taking extra medications, an altered diet, etc. I will miss being able to spend as much time as I did with the girls. The girls also noticed the irony of it all. When I am sick, they are able to spend more time with me, but when I get well, they know that they will most likely be seeing less of me. Hmm... that's going to be a difficult adjustment for all of us.

That is all for now. Please continue to pray that we will be protected from all forms of viruses, and that I will be protected from all forms of infections and the dreaded mouth sore. Lastly, please pray that Rob and I will make the right decision regarding the bone marrow transplant.

Thank you for your prayers and may God bless you and your family!

2 comments:

  1. Heavenly Father, we praise Your name. We exalt You above all things. You are our King and Lord. Our Savior. In the midst of everything that is happening in Val's life and all that what she is going through, we know that You are the all-powerful, all-knowing God of the universe. You are in control. Nothing is impossible for You and we know that you are able to heal her completely. We thank you that You have been faithful to Val and her family, that you have continually protecting them from all forms of viruses. We also thank you that Val's last chemo was uneventful, we pray that you will continue protect Val from any infections and also from other side effects like vomitting, mouth sores, nausea, etc. Lastly, we pray that with every decision Rob and Val will make with regards to the bone marrow transplant, we ask that You would give them wisdom, revelation, and clarity leading from Your Holy Spirit. Thank you that you are always with us, our Immanuel, God with us. Thank you that Your presence free us from all doubt and gives us increased faith. Thank you that You hear our prayers for Val and will answer us in Your time and in Your way. Help Val to continue to rest in You. May Your grace, mercy, lovingkindness, joy and peace be upon Val and her family always.
    In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

    -Achie

    ReplyDelete