Wednesday, October 13, 2010

10/13/2010 - Speedy Recovery

I can't believe it has been a month since I last posted an entry!  My apologies to anyone out there who got  concerned about my well-being due to my long silence. 

My check-ups have been good all this time.  The only issue I had was that a certain virus called CMV for short (I don't remember the long version of the name) came out in a blood test.  It is similar to the chicken pox virus - most people have it, but it leaves us alone unless our immune system is weakened.  I had to take an IV medication for that, and it was gone in a week.  I continue to take it just as a precaution.  The IV med was quite interesting.  It looks like the lemon juice sold in lemon-shaped containers in supermarkets, but with a tube coming out of one end to attach to my PICC line (port).  The "lemon" becomes smaller as the medication goes into my system.  Once it is finished, I just take it off myself.  So easy.  I love technology! 

I will be going for my check-up again tomorrow morning.  The doctor has been very happy with my progress, so I do not expect it to be any different tomorrow.  The doctor continues to reduce my medications, and I continue to feel better.  God continues to be gracious to me and my family.  Thank you for your prayers and well wishes.

So what has been keeping me busy these days?  Partying!  :-)  Not really.  I spend two mornings a week at the hospital for check-ups.  Then, it is mostly activities revolving around food - grocery shopping, cooking, eating and cleaning up.  Since I cannot eat restaurant food, I had to prepare most meals by myself.  Takeout food has taken a backseat to my culinary skills (or lack thereof).  :-)  It feels good to feed my family our favorite foods again.  Then, there's the visits to the dentist and optometrist for myself and the kids, and some shopping (yes!). 

I read something interesting recently.  Apparently, spending 10 minutes a day to meditate, pray, or just clear the mind and do nothing can make a big difference in managing stress.  There is some positive physical effect on the  body, but I don't remember what it is anymore - blame it on my chemo brain.  :-| 

Another interesting thing I read recently.   If you know anyone who has cancer, you can help them by trying to make them laugh or get them to be happy.  Apparently, a recent study has shown that cancer patients who are positive and happy tend to recover faster than patients who are down, worried or depressed.  The mental and emotional state of the person has a lot to do with the body's ability to recover.

Thank you all for your continued support through your prayers and well-wishes.  May God continue to bless you and your family. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Val!It's so nice to hear from you again.I'm glad to know that you are back with your daily routine.Just keep it up.God is so good!Well, my husband is back in the hospital for a consolidation chemotherapy.His siblings have been tested if they are a match donor,but it takes two to three weeks to get the results.We are praying that we'll be able to find a match donor for my husband.We are hanging in there,please pray for my husband's speedy recovery.God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your FB post. Thank God your husband found not just 1, but 2 matches! I think the doctor will prefer the brother to be the donor if your sister already had a baby. Women's DNA or blood gets tainted by the husband's once we get pregnant, so the brother's cells will be preferred over the sisters'. You will be in my prayers. May GOd continue to shower His grace upon Bobet and your family!

    ReplyDelete