Wednesday, March 23, 2011

3/23/2011 - Seven Months and Counting

Just as some of you thought I was going to fade out of the "digital airwaves",  here I am again!   It sure has been a long time since my last update.  I'm glad most people know by now that with me, "no news is good news".  And that is true.  If something were to go wrong, I would most likely get on a platform, sound the trumpet and ask for prayers galore!

My check-up last Wednesday went well.  The doctor said I am doing "very well" and I have nothing to worry about.  That has been the ongoing theme for several months now, in spite of the hives.  Yes, the hives have been bothering me for a while now.  It is the only sign of rejection (graft versus host disease) that I have.  The doctor is glad to see some rejection, though.  It may go away soon or last a long time, the doctor doesn't know because it is different for everyone.  My skin, eyes and scalp gets itchy from time to time.  During good days, they are just a minor source of irritation.  During bad days, it keeps me up at night even with medication.  Fortunately, there are more good days now than bad days.  If you're having visions of monkeys scratching themselves, you're on the right track!  ooh! ooh! aah! aah!

The doctor finally put me back on a regular diet!  Yay!  He did warn me not to go overboard, though.  I can now have salad that's not prepared at home, yogurt, strawberries, etc.  That was great news!

"Woman overboard!"  I thought having a hot seafood tofu soup would be safe, even if it had oysters in it.  It may have been safe, but I forgot about all the appetizers they give you in a Korean restaurant.  My friend and I enjoyed our lunch yesterday.  But when I got home, my bad stomach reminded me of the oysters and the fresh salad, kimchi, bean sprouts and pickled seaweeds I had with it.  I also ordered my soup medium (spicy by American standards).  Oops!  I guess I went overboard.  I should really be more careful.

One improvement last month was the removal of the PICC line from my arm.  It is a tube that was inserted through my upper arm to a large vein close to my heart.  The line was put in when I was hospitalized.  It was used to draw blood and to give infusions. The doctor decided to remove the line, because my check-ups have been consistently good and the line is only being used to draw blood every two weeks.  Finally - no more rubber sleeves when taking a shower, flushing the line everyday, and being concerned about possible infection in the line!  Now, I just have to get poked each time I go for check-ups.  Ouch!

The doctor did not reduce my medication at all since I last wrote.  He actually increased my immune suppressant by one pill because of the hives.  Not a big deal, but I would really like to be able to cut back on my medication to protect my kidneys and liver.

My hair is growing back.  It is all curly and fine.  This is normal.  I guess chemo drugs can be a substitute for perms.  It lasts about a year, too - much longer than perms!   I don't like how my hair looks right now.  It reminds me too much of the afro look. :-|  But it is sure beats not having any hair!  Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let me have some of your hair!

I get asked this question a lot: am I working now?  Nope, not until one year after transplant (8/4/11), at the earliest.  One year post-transplant is standard, but the doctor may ask for a longer leave depending on my condition.  I am no hurry.  I am presently enjoying my extended "staycation" (medical leave).  Another FAQ: Will I go back to my old job?  I don't know.  I don't know what I will be doing when the doctor says I'm good to go.  I am just waiting for God's leading in this area.  And it could be anything...  

Life is essentially back to normal with my family.  We enjoy our time together much more nowadays for obvious reasons.  Please continue to pray for us - my hives, medication, complete recovery, and protection from the cold and flu virus for all of us.  

Tokyo is going through so much these days.  The earthquake, tsunami and the extent of the damage is really scary.  As I pray for Japan, I can't help praying for God's mercy on us.  Our time may come - thinking of the "big one" overdue here in California.  For now, I am thankful.  Thankful for today, thankful for our safety, thankful for family and friends, thankful for your prayers, thankful for abundant blessings, thankful for being happy.

This is the season of Lent.  I hope we all pause for a moment in our busy lives to consider the great sacrifice for our salvation.  In retrospect, what I went through the last 2 years is nothing compared to what Jesus allowed Himself to go through for me.  Whatever we go through in life, no matter how tough, is part of living in this world - we gotta take the good with the bad.  Jesus didn't have to come to this imperfect world and suffer, but he did, and He made all the difference - in my life, in my family's life, and I hope, also in your lives.

Thank you so much for all your prayers.  May God continue to bless you and your family.

6 comments:

  1. hi, valerie,

    it's kelly (RN from BMT). city of hope are going to have 35th annual reunion "Celebration of Life" on april 29. will u be able to come? wish i can see u again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie!! It's Rena!
    I was more than pleased to see your recent blog... you had'nt posted in so long, my fear was... well it wasnt good.
    Thank God above that you are doing as well as you are! I think about you so often and always pray for you and your family.
    I love how your sence of humor continues to be strong and hope you know that you are quite an inspiration for me.
    Please keep in touch, I'm sure as life gets back to normal for you, it will be harder to find time for blogging...
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Val,

    My name is Dave and I am so happy to hear how well you've done, and also your strong faith in Jesus. My wife is currently at UCLA and has a high risk AML. She is going through a rough spot right now after round three of chemo, as her white counts continue to go up. Her one and only sibling is a perfect match for the transplant, praise God. She was also diagnosed when she was pregnant at 20 weeks. I could not find a way to email you on your website, but if you happen to get this post, please email at acandidaffair@hotmail.com. Your story is very similar to what my wife is going through and I would love to talk with you.

    God bless you and your family, and thank God every day for his healing upon your body.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kelly! It is so nice to hear from you! I was planning to attend the reunion, but the kids didn't have school that day, so I didn't go. I will be attending the Cancer Survivors' Reunion in June, though. Will you be assisting during the event? I can also come visit you then or when I have my checkups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Rena! Yes, I am still very much around - by the grace of God!!! Thanks for your concern and prayers. You are so right. Now that things are getting back to normal, I do have less time to blog. But, I am committed to keep everyone posted until at least my first anniversary, August 3. That's coming up in a couple of months. Fast, huh? Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Dave! I am so sorry to hear about your wife. Thank you for reaching out. I would love to talk to you. I will send you an email after this.

    ReplyDelete