Wednesday, October 7, 2009

10/07/2009 - Round Two

My second round of chemotherapy started yesterday afternoon. So far, so good. I had no side effects other than feeling mild nausea this afternoon. Thank God! There are some other new things I am thankful for:

- This round of chemo is simpler than I thought. I misunderstood what the doctor said. I thought I will have two 12-hour sessions each day. The treatment actually consists of only two 3-hour session each day given 12 hours apart. The full treatment will be 3 days given during alternate days. So, if all goes well, I should be going home on Sunday.

- I got a room with a view again! I was even given a choice between a bigger room with the view of mostly trees or a smaller room but with the mountain view. I guess it pays to be nice to other people, because most patients don't get a choice for their room, but the people here knew I like bigger rooms and rooms with the mountain view, so they gave me a choice. I chose the smaller room with the mountain view. There's something about mountains that lifts my spirits (unless there's wildfire going on!). When I see the mountains, it reminds me of the verse "I look to the mountains, and where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord.." (or something like that somewhere in the Bible).

- Same room, familiar faces. It was comforting to come back to one of the rooms I stayed in last time, and to see the familiar faces. I have become friends with my doctors, and many of the nurses and caregivers here, so it was very nice to see them again. I really like this place and the people here. After all, this was "home" to me for over a month.

- Things could be a lot worse. Yesterday, a friend told me that her nephew also has the same type of Leukemia as I have, but it took him 10 months to be in remission and be able to get a bone marrow transplant. I am now in remission and can already have a bone marrow transplant once a match is found. That's a huge blessing!

These are just the few new things I am thankful for. I continue to be thankful for having so many people who care enough to pray for me and my family, and send me words of support and encouragement. For my sister who put her comfortable life in Manila on hold just to come here and help us out. For the many true friends and relatives who are more than willing to help in any way they can, even offering to be bone marrow transplant donors. For the things that are most important in life - having known and experienced God's love, family, true friends, joy, peace, and hope. It is true what the Little Prince said, "What is essential is invisible to the eye."

Please continue to pray for me and my family on this new leg of our journey: that I will not have any side effects in this round of chemo; that the kids won't have a hard time with my absence; that we will find a cell match for the bone marrow transplant; that we will make the right decision regarding whether to have bone marrow transplant and that we will have peace with the decision.

Thank you once again for your prayers and for persevering with us through our journey. May God bless you and your family!

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 121:1-8

    1. I lift up my eyes to the hills -
    where does my help come from?
    2. My help comes from the LORD,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

    3. He will not let your foot slip -
    He who watches over you will not slumber;
    4. indeed, He who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.

    5. The LORD watches over you -
    the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
    6. the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.

    7. The LORD will keep you from all harm -
    He will watch over your life;
    8. the LORD will watch over your coming
    and going both now and forevermore.

    -achie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Achie. I was hoping you would let me know where the verse is in the Bible. And to think my friend, Jean, just read the Psalm to me before I came back to the hospital! tsk! tsk! tsk! I better pay more attention to memorizing verses - never know when I will need to look them up myself. Love you!

    ReplyDelete