Friday, October 2, 2009

10/2/2009 - Biopsy Results and Doctors' Recommendation

First the good news: The result of my latest biopsy came out clean! Also, my blood count is coming up nicely on its own. I am no long neutropenic! Thank you, Lord. And thanks to all who have been praying for me. God continues to listen to our prayers and grant our requests.

Robert and I met with the bone marrow transplant (BMT) doctor at the City of Hope on Wednesday, and I had another consultation with my oncologist yesterday. The BMT doctor also had difficulty coming up with a recommendation. Based on a previous biopsy result, I am considered at intermediate risk. Having a BMT will increase the likelihood of NOT having a relapse from 40% t0 50%. The question is whether the 10% improvement is worth subjecting me to the harsher treatment with significant risks of side effects that comes with BMT. The doctor presented the case during their doctors' forum later that day. The doctors' consensus was to proceed with the BMT. This is consistent with my oncologists' recommendation. The final decision will still be up to us, though. Robert and I are having reservations about going through BMT, because we are concerned about the rigorous process and added risk. Until we make a final decision, I will proceed with my chemo treatment(s) and we have also started the process for a potential BMT. The insurance company has to first approve the BMT and testing my siblings for a cell match. We have prayed that the doctors be given the wisdom to come up with the best recommendation that is consistent with God's will. We may just be having a hard time accepting the recommendation. Please pray that we will make the right decision and be at peace with it.

For those who are not aware of what the City of Hope is, it is one of the most advanced facilities in the US for cancer research and treatment. Unlike other hospitals, they only deal with patients with cancer in their facility. They are at the forefront of cancer research, and it is one of the few facilities in LA that can do bone marrow transplant - not all hospitals have the ability to do BMT. They also have some of the best doctors in this field. My oncologist practices in the hospital, but she is not licensed to do BMT that is why I had to speak with another doctor for the procedure. A bonus is that we live very close to the facility. Is it coincidental that our house is somewhere between the Huntington Memorial Hospital (my favorite hospital) and the City of Hope? Maybe God has been preparing us for this all along. Small side note: I was told that Andrea Bocelli was at the City of Hope two weeks ago to sing during the dedication of a statue (of Pope ?) that was donated to the facility. It was a very private event, so not many people knew about it. Hmm...maybe I can be an uninvited guest next time he's there... :-)

Back to the BMT - wish we're discussing BLT here. The BMT procedure is very rigorous. It starts with an intensified chemo plus some radiation treatments to wipe out ALL the blood cells and clean out my bone marrow. The purpose is to create a fresh environment for the "foreign" stem cells. This reduces the risk of having a "graft to host rejection" which is the greatest risk in BMT. If my body rejects the new stem cell, it could lead to many complications, and even death. After the chemo and radiation treatments, they will introduce the new stem cell into my body via IV. I will have to be closely monitored in the hospital for a whole month. After being discharged, I still have to see my doctor twice a week for blood tests, etc. It is crucial to monitor the progress in the first 100 days of the transplant to make sure that the body is accepting the new stem cells. The monitoring eases up a bit after that, but I will still have to take plenty of medications. I get tired just thinking of the whole process. This is a significantly more complicated process when compared to the chemo alternative: 4 more cycles of chemo administered about a month apart and I'm done. Maybe now you understand our concern about going through BMT versus just taking the chemo route. Please pray that if BMT is indeed the course we have to take, that we will have peace with the decision and that we will be physically, emotionally and spiritually equipped and ready to go through it.

My next round of chemo starts next Tuesday. It will have to be done in the hospital because they couldn't find a home nurse that's covered by my insurance and also licensed to administer chemo at home. Although it may seem more convenient to have the chemo at home, I think it is actually better for me to have it in the hospital. I feel safer knowing that I can bother a nurse any time of day if I need any help, and that they can deal with any problems better than we can at home. Another advantage for me is that I will not be tempted to do things around the house when I should be resting most of the time. The next round will consist of 3 alternate days of 24-hour chemo, so I will be in the hospital for 6 days if we include time spent for admission and discharge. I will be given a stronger dose of one of the drugs I was given during the first round. In addition to the usual potential side effects, there is also a risk of having problems with keeping my balance and coordination, and also possible irritation to the eyes. Please pray that I will be able to tolerate the second round of chemo well, and that I will not experience any side effects. Also please pray that Robert and the kids will handle my absence well and that they will be able to visit me everyday at the hospital.

On a lighter note, my sister and I visited the Huntington Gardens this afternoon and had an enjoyable afternoon tea at their Tea Room. The plan was to eat and walk off the calories, but we enjoyed the food and conversation so much that we ran out of time - it was time to pick up the kids at school. Oh well, we'll just have to return another time. My kids felt bad that they didn't go with us, because it is one of our favorite places for family fun. We missed going for picnics during their summer concert series this year because of our trip to the Philippines and then my illness. There is always much to see and do, we always have fun visiting even without the concerts. I promised the girls we will go there again when I feel better after the next round of chemo - that's a good motivation for me to get well soon after the second chemo.

That's it for today. Thank you all for your continued prayers and for persevering with us through our journey. May God bless you all!

Thank you once again for all your prayers and may God bless you all!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Val,

    Reading your posting is not only spiritually uplifting but educational as well. Now I know that if someone calls me neutropenic it's not a compliment.

    I pray that you will endure this new round of chemo and possibly the BMT. Remember those crazy ultrarunners and what the human spirit can accomplish. How much more if the Spirit of God is in you.

    Joy!



    "You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing.
    You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Vic,

    That's funny. Nope, neutropenic is not a compliment.

    Regarding my blog, to God be the glory. It is the Holy Spirit that stirs your heart when you read my blog. Without the Holy Spirit's work, they are just empty ramblings of a sick woman.

    Thank you so much for your prayers and support. I hope you realize how much you are helping me and my family with your constant prayers and words of encouragement. I am blessed to have you as my friend.

    Take care,
    Val

    ReplyDelete