Sunday, December 27, 2009

12/30/2009 - Three Wise Women

The irony of the Christmas season for Christians is that this is the time of year when we celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. I think spending more time in prayer and meditation would be a nice way to celebrate it. However, this is also the time of year when we are busiest. Too many things distract us from spending time with the birthday celebrant - year-end deadlines and commitments at work, buying presents, sending cards, preparing food, attending holiday parties and programs, entertaining kids during their winter break, etc. It is like being at a birthday party where everybody is having fun but few bother to spend time with the celebrant.

Once again, I felt guilty that I did not spend as much time as I know I should (and could) with my Savior. Not that I am ultra-busy, but the distractions of the mind were just awful. Every year, I say that I hope to do better next year. I don't know if I did better than last year, but it was less than satisfactory. So, once again, I hope to do better next year.

For all my unfaithfulness, I rightfully deserve the Lord's cold shoulder at best. And I won't blame Him one bit if I get punished for my irreverent behavior. However, instead of getting what I deserve, blessings continued to come my way! He sent three wise women to remind me how much He loves me despite my shortcomings, and that His love is unwavering. Here's my story:

1) One of the dishes that I like a lot is Chinese stuffed chicken. Chicken stuffed with glutinous rice, chestnuts, mushrooms, sausage, etc. It is one of those food that tastes really good and also makes me feel good because I associate it with happy occasions with my family in Manila. I have given up looking for a restaurant that serves it here in LA years ago. A few days before Christmas, Cristina came to our house with a stuffed chicken. It was made by her friend who just started a food business. One look and I knew it was the stuffed chicken that I have been looking for. What a wonderful surprise from one wise woman!

2) Every year, I get invited to my cousin Henry's New Year's party where they traditionally serve fresh Chinese lumpia (do-it-yourself spring rolls). It is labor intensive to prepare the fillings, so I only get to have it once a year when they invite us there. I got a bonus this year, because Bessie brought me some a few months ago. Anyway, Henry's family was going to celebrate Christmas and new year in Texas this year, so I was a bit sad that I won't get another chance to have the dish. A few days later, Nora called and asked if I would like her to bring me some lumpia because she's making some for her friend anyway. Another wonderful surprise from another wise woman!

3) It has been a while since our family had cheese rolls from Porto's. It is a Cuban bakery in Glendale that makes those delicious cheese rolls that make my my family smile ear to ear. I was just contemplating driving the distance to get some during the holidays when Marlene came to visit with boxes of food from Porto's. Another wonderful surprise from another wise woman!

Such nice coincidences, aren't they? I prefer to think that they were all divinely inspired by the Lord. God knows that I am a foodie, so He caught my attention with food. I was reminded that He continues to love me even if I have not been faithful. Boy, am I glad that our God is "slow to anger and quick to forgive". I am sure He communicates to each one of us according to what will best catch our attention. I hope you have sensed His love during this Christmas season. Unlike other birthday celebrations, Christmas is one where the celebrant gives the best and biggest present of all. And He continues to give throughout the year, whether we notice it or not, and whether we thank Him for the gifts or not.

My family and I would like to wish you all a blessed Christmas and joy, peace, love and good health in the coming year!

Thank you once again for your continued prayers and may God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment