Wednesday, December 2, 2009

12/2/2009 - Numbers Going Down

It has been a few days since I was discharged from the hospital. Thanks to your prayers, I did not experience any major side effects. There were moments of nausea, but none so bad that I had thrown up or needed to take medication. I was prescribed medication to prevent sore eyes, anti-viral medication to prevent chicken pox, anti-fungal medication to prevent yeast or other fungal infection, and antibiotics to prevent bacterial infection. The fight is far from over. Over the next several days, my body will continue to get weaker until it hits the bottom (nadir is the medical term for it). It takes a couple of weeks to get to that point. That is how long it takes the body to get rid of the toxicity from chemotherapy. After it hits bottom, the body should be able to get stronger, including having better blood counts and getting itself out of neutropenia.

I get a blood test twice a week with potential blood and platelet transfusion as needed, and a consultation with the doctor once a week. Yesterday was my first blood test. As expected, my blood count went down. What I didn't expect was how low it could go. My white blood count was 0.6. The normal range is 4-11. The platelet also went down, so I got a platelet transfusion yesterday. This should help my blood to clot up should there be any bleeding. The hemoglobin was low, but not low enough to require a blood transfusion. The BMT doctor did not give me a shot to boost my blood count after the chemo. She wanted my body to recover on its own. Needless to say, I am very much neutropenic now, so I am being extra careful.

Please continue to pray that there will not be any side effects from this round of chemo. In particular, that I will not have to deal with nausea, mouth sores, digestive problems, problems with the kidney or liver, and infections of any kind (bacteria, virus, fungus). The flu season is getting into full swing now, with many people coughing and sneezing. I avoid them like the plague! Please pray that my family and I will not be infected with the regular flu and the deadly H1N1 flu virus.

"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." (Proverbs 17:17). I consider myself blessed to have many true friends who have shown their love during this time. I am doubly blessed to have 6 siblings who are pulling for me and helping in their own way. My sister, Verna, is back in Manila. She was a big help to us the last 3 months. She had denied herself the comfort of her life in Manila to come here and help us out. She prepared food for us, took care of dropping off the kids and picking them up, accompanied me to my appointments, and cheered me up with her company. Although I didn't abuse her kindness by letting her cook all the time (I do most of the cooking when I feel well), she was always willing to help. Coming from someone who didn't have to do any chores or take care of anyone else at home - I am deeply touched by her generous spirit!

That is all for now. I will have more information about bone marrow transplant in my next blog. It is quite an interesting topic on its own. Please pray that God will make his will concerning bone marrow transplant very clear to us. Please continue to pray for my complete healing, that God will guide the doctors in providing the care that I need, and that my family and I will continue to be happy and positive throughout this journey.

Thank you for your continued prayers and may God bless you and your family!

2 comments:

  1. Hear our prayer, O LORD God Almighty; listen to our cry for mercy. O Lord, You are the God who saves us, day and night we cry out before You. May our prayers come before You; turn Your ear to our cry (Psalm 88:1-2) as we continue to lift up Val to you and pray:

    1. for her complete healing.
    2. for her body to be strong and for her to recover fast from her last chemo.
    3. for You to increase her white blood count, hemoglobin, and platelets so that she won't be neutropenic.
    4. that there will not be any side effects from this round of chemo. In particular, that she will not have to deal with nausea, mouth sores, digestive problems, problems with the kidney and liver, and infections of any kind (bacteria, virus, fungus).
    5. for You, LORd to shield and protect Val and her family from being infected with the regular flu and the deadly H1N1 flu virus.
    6. for her family to continue to be happy and positive in this journey.
    7. for You, LORD to guide the doctors in providing the care she need.
    8. that Your will for her concerning the bone marrow transplant to be clear.

    For you have been our hope, O Sovereign LORD (Psalm 71:5). No one whose hope is in You will ever be put to shame (Psalm 25:3). But as for us, We will always have hope; We will praise You more and more (Psalm 71:14). For You are great and do marvelous deeds; You alone are God (Psalm 86:10). In Jesus Name we pray. Amen

    -Achie

    ReplyDelete