Friday, November 27, 2009

11/27/2009 - Thanksgiving

I made it home for Thanksgiving! The last 2 doses of chemo knocked me out. I was awake just long enough to order my meals and eat them before they grew cold. Then, I got a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin will most likely be very low. I was energized after all that sleep. The serving of blood also helped, I'm sure. (just like a vampire? :-)

I was discharged late in afternoon, but felt strong enough to join my cousin, Henry, and his family for Thanksgiving. They had it at his son's new house. We wanted to see the place, and it was also a chance for them to bid my sister farewell. We had Turducken for dinner. What was that?! Never heard of it before, either. Turducken is a turkey stuffed with duck and chicken. Interesting concept! We also enjoyed the jambalaya rice that came with it.

We are so blessed to have a plan B in case I didn't feel well enough to go out. My dear friend, Bessie, brought us ham that she had glazed with her special glaze (...and love). So, we're celebrating Thanksgiving again tonight! From plan B to take two! It is my sister, Verna's last dinner with us, so we have much to celebrate and much to be thankful for. Can't be too thankful for all our blessings!

Thanksgiving is that time of the year when we realized how blessed we are. We also get to appreciate what is truly important in life - family, friends, good health, salvation, faith, etc. One thing we are very thankful for this year is all the relatives and friends who have reached out one way or the other to help us out during this difficult journey. You are all very much appreciated. Even one single prayer means a lot to us. It is the combination of all our prayers that has made this journey as problem-free as it had been. I consider myself very, very blessed to have it relatively easy - things could have been a lot worse! We are also very blessed to have you all alongside us in our journey. Thank you once again!

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and may God continue to bless you and your family!

4 comments:

  1. Praise be to You, O LORD,
    God of our father Israel,
    from everlasting to everlasting.

    Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power
    and the glory and the majesty and the splendor,
    for everything in heaven and earth is Yours.

    Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom;
    You are exalted as head over all.

    Wealth and honor come from You;
    You are the ruler of all things.
    In Your hands are strength and power
    to exalt and give strength to all.

    Now, our God, we give You thanks,
    and praise Your glorious name.
    (1Chronicles 29:10-13)

    -Achie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Val,

    I'm glad you overcame round 3. With God in our corner, we truly are more than conquerors!

    We celebrated Thanksgiving with our new baby girl Kayla. She was born on Nov 19. Nathan's b-day is Nov 28 while mine is Dec 2. We have a cluster of birthdays! So I'm back to night shift changing diapers and feeding.

    By the way, how did you like the turducken? I've been meaning to try that. I've been frying turkey for the past couple of years. That's good too.

    Hope to talk to you again soon....Vic

    "May the Lord bless you and keep you, may He make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Achie, thanks for the beautiful verses.

    Vic, congratulations! Glad to hear you are all doing well. I have been praying for you all, and was getting concerned because I haven't heard any news. Yep, you're back to changing diapers, feeding, and not getting enough sleep. Just try to keep your cool even if you're irritable from "puyat". Are you on paternity leave? Will call you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vic, in case I don't get to call you later today, have a very happy birthday! You received a most precious birthday gift - Kayla, the future daddy's girl!

    ReplyDelete