Monday, November 23, 2009

11/24/2009 - Round 3, Day 3

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

The extension of this round of chemo really worked out great for our family. I was concerned about the kids not being able to see me because of the CDC ruling, but it turned out better than I had expected. Katie and Ellie do not have school this week, so they were able to come visit me during the day, when it was still bright outside. We enjoyed feeding the fish again yesterday afternoon. I found out that the fish in the pond are koi fish. According to my sister, those fish can live over 100 years. There are over 50 adult fish and many more small ones. Yes, they will still be around long after all of us are gone. We also played with the floor chime in the rose garden. It reminded me of the oversized floor piano at FAO Schwartz in NY - remember Tom Hanks in Big? The chime is embedded on the ground, and we make different notes by stepping or jumping on them. We got creative and had a lot of fun - until Ellie slipped and scratched her elbow. We went to the nearest restroom at the Visitor Center to clean off the scratch.

Little did we know that we will be entering a historic building. The ceiling was beautifully painted almost 100 years ago. One of the walls had a mural that was last valued at $2.7M. It was painted by 2 young artists (Philip Goldstein/Guston and another artist) years ago. They have now become famous, thus the high price on the mural. There were many historic photographs of important people, like Eleanor Roosevelt, who went there. We got to chat with the manager of the place, who told us more interesting stories about the place and sent us away with some souvenirs and goodies - really nice lady. She also mentioned that Lamar Odom of the Lakers and his wife, Kloe Kardashian (reality show star) were there this afternoon to play basketball with the pediatric patients and signed autographs. I'm not a fan of either, but it was very nice of them to do it for the kids.

The chemo yesterday was uneventful. Thank you again for your prayers, and thank God! I slept a lot during and after the chemo. By the time I was alert enough to see my family, it was getting dark outside. So when Katie, Ellie and my sister came for a visit, we only spent time at the gift shop and ate at the bistro while I helped Katie with her school project. We also went to a nearby restaurant to buy dinner for the family. The kids like the spam musubi and Rob likes their loco moco at the Hawaiian barbecue joint. Shhh! Don't let my doctor or nurses know that I broke my parole. I may lose the privilege. :-) In case some of you got concerned, it was only a few blocks away, and the restaurant had only a few people there, so I did not take any big risks by going out. The biggest risk is writing about it - so no squealing please! Rob visited me last night, but was too tired to visit me tonight - no biggie.

The doctor gave the results of the cell match today - none of my 6 siblings is my cell match. Yep, not one. Oh, no! Maybe I WAS adopted! Or maybe it's true that they just found me in a trash can! Oh no, this may mean years of therapy! ha! ha! ha! All drama aside, it is not unusual not to have a cell match among siblings. I got a warning last week when the person I spoke with at my insurance company told me her husband had 10 siblings and none was a match. Now what? We don't know yet. I thought I could get away without a transplant if none of my siblings were a match, but God may have something else in mind. The doctor really wanted me to have the transplant because she's concerned about a relapse. Apparently, if I don't get a transplant, the relapse may happen in the next couple of years. The doctor looked at the national donor registry and she thinks we have a good chance of getting a 100% match from an unrelated donor. What do I do now? I will continue taking the last 2 rounds of chemo treatments unless we find a cell match. There's much to think about and more to pray about. Right now, we're just taking it a step at a time. Please pray that God will open the way, prepare our hearts, and make it obvious to us what our next steps should be.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and may God bless you and your family!

4 comments:

  1. hi val,
    not one sibling is a match...well, we gotta make a bigger request to God then! i'm glad you got to have your family time.

    i've been under the weather for a while now and will skip the thanksgiving "big" meal...but, boy do i have a lot to be thankful for...God is good.
    happy thanksgiving!

    grace,
    alvina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavenly Father, You are the Lord our God, the LORD Almighty is Your name (Isaiah 51:15). We thank you for continuing preserving Val's health. We thank you that her chemo treatment has been uneventful. We lift her up to you again and pray that you will continue to heal her, and that her next chemo treatment will be uneventful. That there won't be any side effects, so that she can go home and enjoy their Thanksgiving celebration.

    O Lord, we praise You that You are all-knowing God. You uphold all things by Your power. Although there were no match from her siblings, we know You are in control. We cling to your promise that You will never leave her nor forsake her. For Your thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are our ways Your ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth so are Your ways higher than our ways, and Your thoughts than our thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-9). Therefore, we surrender into Your hands Val. We know that you love her and You know what is best for her. We pray for guidance, wisdom, discernment for Robert and Val to decide what the next step will be according to Your will, and if it is Your will that Val should have a BMT, please Lord, help them find a match as soon as possible and that there won't be any complications. We also lift up to you her family's health that you would shield and protect them from any flu or viruses and that they will continue to be happy in this journey.

    We thank you for all the times You have shown Your lovingkindness and tender mercies to Val and her family. We pray that you will continue to redeem Val's life in ways we never dreamed possible. All glory and praise to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, for ever and ever. Amen.

    -Achie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Val! Happy Thanksgiving Day to you and your family. We had a quiet, relaxing day today - kami-kami lang, pa-kain-kain lang maghapon, pahinga, the kind I've wanted to enjoy since we came back from the Philippines and Nico started preschool :)
    We will continue to pray for your quick and lasting recovery, that God will help you and Rob "see" clearly what it is He wants you to do, may the Good Lord continue to bless you and your family mightily.
    Love, Nini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alvina, I'm sure you had a nice Thanksgiving, too, even if you had to skip the big meal. Yes, God is good - all the time. I'm praying for your recovery. Take care!

    Achie, thanks for your beautiful prayers.

    Nini, glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving with your family. I do agree that sometimes a simple celebration with lots of family time and relaxation is more enjoyable than a lavish party. Thanks for your continued prayers.

    ReplyDelete