Saturday, November 21, 2009

11/21/2009 - Round 3

I was finally admitted tonight at the City of Hope for my next round of chemo. As you know, I was supposed to be admitted on Thursday, but they didn't have a room available until today. I'm not complaining, though. "All things work out for good for those who love the Lord." The delay actually worked out well for us. We all got to enjoy more family time, Ellie got more time to prepare herself for my hospital stay, I got more time to get stronger, and we also got to spend more time with my sister who will be leaving next week. I will not be able to see her off at the airport, but that's not such a big deal.

I was also able to meet with the girls' teachers for their evaluation. Just like Ellie, Katie's evaluation came out great! She was expecting all A's and that was what she got. We are blessed to have kids who enjoy learning, and don't need much help or prodding from their parents to do their schoolwork. They were very happy to get their surprise reward - new stuffed animals! It is wonderful to see how easy it is to please children.

Answered prayers: I was admitted to the new hospital! Not the old and not-so-nice medical center that they still send patients to when they're fully booked at this new one. And although I was initially assigned to a room with the view of the freeway, they moved me to a room with a mountain view! The nurse here remembered that I liked the room with the mountain view when I came to check out the hospital, so she switched my room. Woohoo! It is too dark to see the mountains tonight, but I look forward to seeing the mountains tomorrow. Thank you, Lord!

My sister and kids dropped me off tonight. Robert was playing with his friends - the poor guy needs to unwind, too. We'll use the webcam to call each other tonight, then they will visit me tomorrow afternoon. Although they are not allowed to come to my room, I assume that I will be allowed to see them at the lobby. I have to get a permit from the doctor, but it should not be an issue unless my blood count is really low.

My chemo hasn't started yet. The nurse is still waiting for my blood test results. The doctor wanted to make sure my blood count is still good, and that my liver and kidneys are still okay before starting the chemo. I don't expect anything to have changed significantly since Thursday, so I should be getting my chemo in the couple of hours. This means unless I get a fever or some other side effects that require me to me stay in the hospital, I shall be home in time to celebrate Thanksgiving dinner. We had to cancel our Thanksgiving/birthday lunch party at Robert's cousin's place, and I may have to cancel the Thanksgiving dinner invitation at my cousins' place. I may not feel up to going anywhere but home after the chemo. It looks like we'll just have a nice, quiet Thanksgiving dinner at home. The celebration may be simple, but we will definitely celebrate! There is just so much to be thankful for!

Among the things I am most grateful for are the people who have been praying for me and my family. If it weren't for your prayers, things would have been much more difficult for us in many ways. Please continue to pray for us during this round of chemo, that the kids will not have a hard time with the new visiting rules, that I will not have no side effects, and that the doctors and caregivers will have the wisdom to give me the best care.

Thank you for your continued concern and prayers and may God bless you and your family!

1 comment:

  1. Almighty God, You are righteous in all Your ways, and loving toward all You have made. You are near to all who call on You, to all who call on You in truth. You fulfill the desires of those who fear You, You hear their cry and save them. You watches over all who loves you (Psalm 145:17-20), that is why we want to thank you Lord for answering Val's prayer, for granting her desire to have a room with a mountain view at the new hospital at the City of Hope. We thank you also, for the richness of Your mercy and grace as we continue to lift up Val and her family and pray:

    1. for Val's complete healing.
    2. for her body to be strong as she starts her next round of chemo.
    3. for her hemoglobin and platelets not to decrease so that she won't be neutropenic.
    4. for her liver and kidney to still be okay before the start of the chemo.
    5. for this round of chemo to be uneventful, so that there won't be any side effect that will occur after the treatment.
    6. for her liver, kidney, and other organs not to be affected on the medications she is taking.
    7. for Val not to have any fever or some side effects that might require her to extend her stay in the hospital.
    8. for Katie and Ellie not to have a hard time adjusting with the new visiting rules, and for them not to miss her too much when she gets admitted.
    9. for You, Lord to shield and protect Val and her family from any flu or viruses and to help them to stay happy and positive in this journey.
    10. for Val to be able to go home in time to celebrate Thanksgiving dinner.
    11. for You Lord to bless the doctors, nurses, caregivers wisdom, patience, and dedication to give Val the best care.
    12. for stem cell match from her siblings, and if it is Your will for her to go through the BMT, that there won't be any complications.

    O LORD, You are faithful to all Your promises and loving toward all You have made. (Psalm 145:13)

    Our mouth will speak in praise of the LORD. Let every creature praise Your Holy Name for ever and ever. In Jesus name we pray. Amen

    -Achie

    ReplyDelete