Thursday, November 19, 2009

11/19/2009 - Chemo Delayed Again

My blood test this morning came out well. The white blood count, ANC, hemoglobin and platelets all looked good, so it's time to knock them all down again! :-( The doctor wanted to start my next round of chemo today. Problem is, the hospital was fully booked. I was number 4 in the list, but only 2 rooms became available today. I'm on standby for a room tomorrow. It's the flu season. Many hospitals are fully booked these days, especially as the H1N1 virus spreads.

The delay actually worked out well for us. Katie and Ellie's evaluation for the semester was scheduled for this afternoon and tomorrow morning. I was able to discuss Ellie's performance with her teacher, and will be able to do the same for with Katie's teacher tomorrow morning. Ellie did really well at school. She is the youngest and smallest student in her class, but she is one of the brightest. I have a suspicion she is the teacher's pet. I don't blame her - Ellie IS charming. This is the opinion of a totally biased mother. :-) I was also able to get a few more things in my checklist done. One of the items was to cook Paella for the family. I knew my sister will also like the dish, and she did! The other things had to do with work or insurance requirements - just more paperwork! ugh!

I hope I get admitted tomorrow so I can be discharged next Wednesday - just in time to see my sister off that evening as she leaves for Manila. We're all going to miss her. She has been such a tremendous help to us, and we all enjoyed her company. We all look forward to having her join us again next year. My mother-in-law may also come over early next year to help us out. We're so blessed to have both my sister and my mother-in-law willing and able to come and give us a hand.

I found out today that there are 2 hospitals at City of Hope. The one I visited was the main hospital, and also the new one. Apparently, they have an older hospital that they still use if the main hospital is full. A nurse suggested that I request for a room in the main hospital because the older hospital is not so nice anymore. Please pray that I will get a room in the main hospital, preferably with the mountain view.

That's it for today. Please continue to pray that my next round of chemo will go well with no side effects. Please also continue to pray for our emotional and spiritual well-being as I go through my next round of chemo, and for protection from the flu virus and other viruses going around these days.

Thank you all for your concern and prayers. May God continue to bless you and your family!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, dear friend! Maraming salamat sa greetings. I'm happy to report that all my recent scans came back negative - best bday gift from above! Rico & I breathe a little easier...until it's time for the next annual scans :) Had seafood dinner with my 2 guys who gifted me with beautiful roses. We are so blessed, Val, you and I, di ba?

    Just want to share a portion of the Daily Bread reading for Nov 19 entitled Joyful Trials:
    Reading is from James 1:1-12
    It's not the testing of our strength but the trying of our faith in Almighty God that develops our endurance. Through it all, the Lord promises wisdom for today (v.5) and a crown of life for those who persevere (v.12).
    My natural response to difficult circumstances is "Oh, no!" The Lord wants me to see what He can accomplish through them and say, "Oh, yes!" -- David McCasland
    The deeper meaning of my trials
    O Lord, You've kept from me;
    But some small part of Your great plan
    I pray, Lord, help me see - D. De Haan
    Joy in trials comes from knowing that the outcome will be good.

    God bless, ingat kayo lagi and love 2 all of you - Nini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nini, I'm so glad that the scans came back negative! You guys must have really celebrated. I'm glad you had such a nice birthday. Yes, we are blessed with our hubbies and kids. Thanks for sharing the verses and quotes - very insightful!

    ReplyDelete