Saturday, November 7, 2009

11/7/09 - Getting Ready for Round Three

Good news: my bone marrow is slowly recovering. I have been getting platelet and/or blood transfusion every week since my last chemo. My hemoglobin was at 8.4 on Tuesday, so I got more blood. The blood test on Friday finally came out well enough not to have any blood transfusion. My ANC went up to 0.92. That means I am finally almost not neutropenic! I am still being extra careful because of the flu season. I think I will carry on as if I am neutropenic until the flu season is over - can't be too careful.

My oncologist thinks I can have the next round of chemo next week. The bone marrow transplant doctor agrees, so I am tentatively scheduled to be admitted to the City of Hope next Friday. We have decided to give the City of Hope a try for the next round of chemo. The experience of having to wait for blood or having to be admitted for blood transfusion at the Huntington Memorial Hospital had tainted my view of the outstanding institution. I still painfully remember the National Incompetence Day saga. Perhaps that was a blessing in disguise to move me to the City pf Hope. With the flu season upon us, it may be better to be admitted in a hospital that has better access to blood and that only deals with cancer. This is going to be a brand new experience! I hope I get a room with the mountain view! All rooms have either the view of the mountains or the freeway. I prefer mountains, of course. I'll just treat this as another adventure. Instead of traveling to new, exotic places for an adventure, I now have the privilege of traveling to new institutions for a different kind of "adventure". I get to experience "special" accommodations and food, and meet new people. Maybe I can contribute to Rick Steve's and Fodor's books... :-)

The CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) recently required all hospitals to regulate their visitors, because they expect this flu season to be harsh. Children under 16 years of age cannot visit patients in the hospital. I am allowed to see my kids at the lobby, but they cannot enter the section for patients. Although this will be tough for the kids, it is better for the patients, including me. For now, we're planning to use a webcam to supplement visits at the lobby.

My next round of chemo will be the same as the previous one. Same dose of the same drug given in three alternating days, for a total hospital stay of 6 days. The doctor warned me that the effect of chemo drugs are cumulative, so although I have very little side effect from the previous two chemos, I should be not be surprised if I experience more side effects this time around. Yikes! In preparation for potential mouth sores again, I have asked my dentist to make mouth guards for me. These will prevent the side of my tongue from rubbing against my teeth. I had my mouth sores on the side of my tongue last time. Whenever my tongue rubbed against my teeth, it aggravated the sore, and made me jump in pain. Imagine going from being asleep to sitting up straight in one second. Ouch!

Please pray that I will adjust well to the new hospital, and that I will get a room with the mountain view. Also pray that our family will be able to address the CDC ruling well so we won't miss each other too much. Rob still has a slight cold, and Ellie has stuffy nose and fighting off a virus. Please pray for their healing and that Katie and I will not catch whatever they have. Another special request is that I will not have any side effects from the chemo this time around. Lastly, please continue to pray for my complete healing, for s stem cell match from my siblings if I will have to go through BMT, and that our family will remain happy and positive through this journey.

Thank you all for your continued prayers, and may God bless you all!

3 comments:

  1. Deuteronomy 7:9

    Know therefore that the LORD your God is God;
    He is the faithful God,
    keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commands.

    Zechariah 13:9

    ....I will refine them like silver
    and test them like gold.
    They will call on my name
    and I will answer them;
    I will say, "They are my people,"
    and they will say,
    "The LORD is our God."

    Nahum 1:7

    The LORD is good,
    a refuge in times of trouble.
    He cares for those who trust in Him.

    Zephaniah 3:17

    The LORD your God is with you,
    He is mighty to save.
    He will take great delight in you,
    He will quiet you with His love,
    He will rejoice over you with singing.

    -Achie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We give You thanks, O Lord, God Almighty. You have said in Your Word that power belongs to You (Psalm 62:11 KJV). Yours, O LORD, is the greatness, the power and the glory, the victory and the majesty; for all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours... (1Chronicles 29:11 KJV).We know that by the power of Your Spirit, all things are possible, therefore we humble ourselves and lift up Valerie and her family to you and continue to pray:

    1. for Val complete healing.
    2. for stem cell match from her siblings and if it is Your will that she will have to go through BMT, that there won't be any complications and that her family will remain happy and positive through this journey.
    3. that You will keep Val in perfect health and that you would increase her platelet/ white blood cells as she starts her 3rd round of chemo.
    4. that she will not have any side effects from the chemo this time, especially the mouth sores.
    5. for her to adjust well to the new hospital, and if it is Your will that she'll be able to get a room with a mountain view.
    6. for her family to be able to address the CDC ruling well so they won't miss each other too much.
    7. for complete healing for Rob and Ellie with regards to their colds.
    8. that you would shield and protect Katie and Val from catching any colds, flu or any virus.

    We will continue to praise you and exalt You, Lord Jesus, as the all-powerful Lord of our lives. Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen

    -Achie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Achie! Beautiful verses and prayer!

    ReplyDelete