Monday, November 23, 2009

11/23/2009 - Round 3, Day 2

Thank you for your prayers. Our God is gracious and merciful. His lovingkindness never ceases. Great is His faithfulness!

I started receiving chemo on Sunday, sometime after midnight. The dose lasted 3 hours. The next dose was given 12 hours later. So far, the only side effect I got was minor rashes that went away this morning. My sister, Verna visited me yesterday. My friend, Bessie, also came and brought me some food. Other than being awake for the visits, I slept most of the day. The anti-nausea medication they gave me can make people drowsy.

By the time I woke up in the afternoon, it was already dark outside. I didn't think it would be fun for the kids to come and visit me at the lobby. They will not be allowed to come to the room because of the CDC regulation concerning the flu season. Besides, they were scheduled to visit me today anyway. We "visited" each other last night via webcam. I gave them the lazy tour of my room by moving the webcam around. Aaah, technology!

Today is my "rest" day from chemo. The next chemo starts at midnight. My doctor gave me permission to leave the hospital twice for an hour each time. I'm only allowed to stay within the campus. Come to think of it, how would they know? Hmmm... I better stick to the rules, though, or I may lose the privilege. Don't want to break my parole. he! he! I'm glad they don't let me go around in orange or striped uniform over here. :-)

My sister came to visit with the girls this morning. We went around the campus a little bit. First, we took the tram to the Japanese garden. The girls enjoyed feeding the fish and watching the turtles. They have lots of koi or carp fish here, and their mouths can open almost as wide as their faces. You'd think they don't feed the fish here. Imagine 50 big mouths all trying to catch fish food - quite a sight. The turtles didn't have a chance at the food. There were 2 turtles that couldn't care less. They were busy making a family. I'm glad the girls didn't ask what they were doing or I'd blush (not!). They will be coming back this afternoon to feed the fish again. Instead of paying 25 cents for a small handful of fish food for each of the girls, my sister will go to the 99 cent store to get a whole bag - now, that's being practical. The fish will just love the kids! We'll try not to overfeed them.

The next stop was the Sculpture garden to see some interesting sculptures. My favorite was the one that looked like rocks were floating in air - very interesting. Then, we went to the Rose Garden where they must have over 50 different breeds of roses - impressive. The place reminds me of the Huntington Gardens - just a miniature version of it. The statue of Pope John Paul was in the Rose Garden, near a bigger statue of the Virgin of Guadalupe. The pope's statue was dedicated about a month ago, with Andrea Bocelli singing during the dedication. I'm sure it was a beautiful ceremony.

What impressed me the most in the campus were the research centers. It seems like everyone wanted his/her own reseach center. Instead of having a 30-story research building, there must be 20 to 30 different one to two-story research centers each bearing a different donor's name. Mabe it is just a city regulation. It seems like people could not throw enough money to this place. I am reminded of a donor every other minute. In the building where I get my blood transfusion, each waiting room was named after a donor. In addition, the decorations were mostly donated. The walls also list names of donors. This morning, we saw that even the walkway had names plates on the curb. Maybe I can also be a donor someday. That will be nice. Now that I know what it is like to have cancer, I would like to be able to give back or pay it forward, just like the people who helped fund the research to find a cure for Leukemia. I owe my life to them.

Great news: my sister was able to extend her departure back to Manila until Saturday. That will give us a few more days to bond, and I will be able to see her off at the airport! She is such a huge blessing to us!

That is all for now. I will rest for a while, then the girls will be back to feed the fish. Please continue to pray that my remaining chemo treatments will be uneventful and free of side effects. Also please keep praying for my family and I as we go through this journey.

Thank you for your prayers and may God bless you and your family!

1 comment:

  1. Almighty God, You have done great things. Holy is Your name. There is nothing that is too difficult for You. The things that are impossible with men are possible with You (Luke 18:27). Thank You, Lord Jesus, for being with Val in her first day of chemo. Thank You that she only had a minor rashes and it went away. We pray that You will continue to be with her and her family in this journey. We also pray that the remaining chemo treatments will be uneventful and free of side effects.

    We thank you that You are able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to Your power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21).

    -Achie

    ReplyDelete