Thursday, August 5, 2010

8/5/2010 - 2 Days After Transplant

I thought I would feel very different after the transplant, but I don't. It was actually quite uneventful. The nurse came in with what looked like a bag of blood. I thought I was going to get another blood transfusion. Turns out it was the bag of stem cells (225 ml). I was given some medication, then they just connected the stem cells to the IV, just like a regular blood transfusion. About 3 hours later, it was over.

I feel tired and nauseous these days. Mostly because my blood count is down to nothing, and I am still experiencing the side effects of radiation and chemo. I also have a mild case of diarrhea. The doctor had put me on a no-food diet. I am given nutrients via IV. I am allowed to drink water and other clear liquids, but that is all. The doctor said there is no point in eating anything solid, because it will just irritate my GI tract. It takes 2 weeks for the cells in my mouth and GI tract to start coming back up. My blood count will also stay low during this time. That means no real food until then. I stopped watching the Food Channel so I feel won't so jealous, or worse, start drooling. :-)

I am looking forward to the time when my blood count will start going up again. Because that means I will be going home soon! I miss my family so much. Spending an hour with them a day is not enough. Even when they are here, they are required to wear a mask and gloves. Makes it difficult to kiss those yummy cheeks. Oh well, at least I get to spend time with them.

In case you're wondering, my family is doing fine. The kids are in summer camp. They enjoy the activities there. On days when they would rather not go on a field trip, they get to have fun with Ninang Cristina and her family or stay at home with daddy. Rob's boss is very understanding. He allows Rob to work from home whenever he needs to. Rob also gets by with help from friends who would bring food to the house and help with groceries.

Thank you for your prayers. I know that the Lord is watching over me, and giving me special protection from all the potential harsh side effects and rejection. I trust that He is listening to all our prayers, and He is granting our requests everyday. Miracles are happening everyday. Unfortunately, they are mostly invisible.

"The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him, He will also hear their cry and save them." Psalm 145:18-19

Thank you all once again for your prayers and may God continue to bless you and your family!

3 comments:

  1. Happy to hear the transplant was so uneventful (ignorant as I am, I assumed any transplant would require some sort of surgical trauma).

    Yes, do stay away from the food shows; I have often fallen under their spell and ended up munching on something quite unhealthy just to stop the drooling.

    If you'd like to be in the company of others who are dealing with major and chronic illnesses (not necessarily physical), may I suggest watching C-SPAN? :-)

    Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery!

    -Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi valerie, nice to hear that uneventful bmt,I am continuing to pray for you a complete and successful transplant and for the doctors to have wisdom to decide and do everything right so you can go back home soon to be with your family, take care!

    -lolit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Gerry! Nice to hear from you. thanks for the prayers and the tip.

    Hi, Tita Lolit. Thanks for the prayers. Have a nice vacation!

    ReplyDelete