Monday, August 9, 2010

8/9/2010 - Feeling Blah

The last few days were a bit more challenging. I am slowly experiencing the side effects of radiation, chemo, and other medications. Radiation and chemotherapy causes nausea, diarrhea, loss of hair, dry skin, sore arms and legs from time to time. Because I have hemmorhoids from childbirth, it just takes my experience of diarrhea tortuous!

One medication made my glucose go way up, so they had to give me another pill to bring it down. Another med also sent my triglicerides way up. They could not bring it down fast enough with pills, so they now want me to have a plasma exchange. That means using this big machine to take out my plasma with the triglicerides and replace it with good plasma containing albumin. Unfortunately, I have such thin veins that they could not get the needle into my vein. The doctor says they'll give me another pill, but if it doesn't work, they will have to put a catheter to my side for the plasma exchange. Whoopee, more needles! Not!

What can I do? I just want to get all these over and done with. I have asked the nurse if there is any medication that I can take so I can just go to sleep until everything is over. Just wishful thinking. How about time travel? That will be a good use of the technology. Or maybe parking my body in the hospital while they do the repairs, and my spirit can go on a nice vacation. :-)

Well, as bad as things were, I had some wonderful surprises this weekend. I was able to spend some time on the phone with some of my dearest and oldest friends. It was such a surprise, because they were calling from Australia and Manila - not something I would expect everyday due to the high cost of long distance calls. Just the sound of their voices was enough to cheer me up. I guess God knew that I needed some cheering up, and nudged them to give me a call.

Another piece of good news is that City of Hope was ranked #1 in transplant success rate in the US. They measure the success rate by the survival rate. Apparently, even if most of their patients have medium to high risk, the result is still more successful than in other institutions with less risky transplants. I am so glad I am in the capable hands of the doctors and other caregivers here. Can I sign up to be their poster child for the longest survival rate? :-)

Today, I finally force myself out of bed just to get my body moving. I try to do a little exercise, but I'm so lazy! Nothing seems interesting to me anymore - not reading, exercising, computer games, or even playing on the harp. Just feeling blah! According to the nurse, everybody eventually feels blah.

I think I know what is wrong. I think I am physically and spiritually sick. I know in my mind that I should be praying more and reading the bible more, but somehow I manage to distract myself from doing so. Please pray that I will be given the spiritual strength to resist the temptations,

According to the doctor, the symptoms will last for another week. Then, as my body starts getting stronger, that is when we will see if there is any rejection. I sincerely hope that there will not be any major rejection.

Please continue to pray for our family, that we will remain positive and happy throughout this challenge, and that we will be given extra strength, courage and faith. Please also pray that I will be better able to tolerate the side effects, and that the doctors and nurses will have the wisdom to do the right thing, and that I will be on my way to a speedy recovery.

Thank you so much for your prayers, and may God continue to bless you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment