Sunday, September 13, 2009

9/13/09 - Next Challenge

All my numbers went up yesterday. My ANC jumped from 900 to 3600, which means I am no longer neutropenic. White blood cells went up from 2.0 to 5.2, which puts it within normal range. Hemoglobin was also up. Just to be on the safe side, I was given another shot of Neupogen through my nicely insulated tummy. :-) This will hopefully keep me within a safe range while I am at home. It is actually better to have had the biopsy and the shots. There is now less risk of getting an infection or needing another blood transfusion. God really knows what is best.

I will have my blood tested next week, followed by another biopsy the following week. The next round of chemo will start a few days or a week later depending on the result of the biopsy. This time, it will be done at home. A nurse will come to our house to administer the drugs through IV. The chemo will last 3 days and the drugs will be stronger, but it is supposed to be less intense compared to the first chemo. My sister, Verna, and I are on a mission to make my body stronger in preparation for the next chemo. In addition to keeping my blood count up, my body needs much repair work: we need to improve my liver, kidneys, create good bacteria in my body and improve my overall health. Please pray that my blood count will not go down in the coming days, that my body will get stronger while getting ready for the next chemo, that my bone marrow will keep producing only good cells, and that there will not be any side effects or complications with the next chemo.

Yesterday, I was allowed to go home by mid-morning, but since Rob won't be able to pick me up until late afternoon, I took my time in getting ready to go leave. We encountered some delays at the hospital, so we didn't get home until the evening. It was so nice to finally come home!

Rob and the kids went roller skating with their friends as part of Ellie's birthday celebration. Next week, we'll all go for miniature golf. Ellie's having an extended birthday celebration. Given our situation, we had to scheduled little celebrations over a couple of weeks rather than a more elaborate one in a few days. It seems to be working out great.

This is my first full day at home. Even if I didn't get enough sleep last night, I felt strong enough to go to church with the family. We have much to be thankful for! A nurse from Home Health came to do some things and also showed me how to take care of the catheter. Yes, I will stay a "cyborg" until all my chemo treatments are done. We spent the rest of the day enjoying each other's company at home. Katie and Ellie were so animated and happy! There was much hugging and kissing all around. I guess we all realized that what we used to take for granted is actually a precious gift from God.

Please continue to pray for me and my family. As always, we thank you for your prayers and all the ways you have been helping us through this journey. May God bless you all!

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 146:1-2

    Praise the LORD.
    Praise the LORD, O my soul;

    I will praise the LORD all my life;
    I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.

    1 Peter 5:10

    And the God of all grace,
    who called you to His eternal glory in Christ,
    after you have suffered a little while,
    will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

    To Him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

    -achie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from the Philippines! Yey, so good to find out that you're back home and able to do some, if not all, the things you used to do with your family. We will continue to pray for you and your family. It's good to know what your specific prayer requests are. Nagkita-kits kami nina Pinks, Rayms, Marites, Ana, Olab, Mike Cervantes & Butch sa bahay nina Pinks last week. Lots of good food and laughter! It was great to see all of them. God bless & ingat kayo lagi. Love, Nini

    ReplyDelete