Tuesday, September 8, 2009

9/8/09 - Going Home?

What a day! As expected, my oncologist called me early this morning to let me know that unless my numbers go up significantly today, I'll have another biopsy by 1pm to know if I can be given a shot to speed up the white cell production. I asked the doctor if the antibiotics could have suppressed the cell production, hoping that stopping the antibiotics yesterday would allow the cells to grow faster. Her answer was that anything is possible, but it is unlikely.

By mid-morning, all the stuff needed for biopsy were already in my room - a scary sight to me. Then, I got another call from the doctor to let me know that my numbers did go up significantly today, so there's no longer a need for a biopsy. That's great news! How high did the numbers go? My white blood count went up to 2.0, ANC was close to 1.0 and hemoglobin went up to 10.2 - all the right numbers to give me a ticket home! Normally, I would have been discharged today, but because my numbers had gone down before, the doctor wanted to keep me here for another day to make sure it doesn't happen again this time. So, if my numbers stay the same or go up tomorrow, I will be home by tomorrow night. Woohoo! My numbers never went up by so much since I came in. We still don't how that happened yesterday, but all I know is that with God, anything is possible!

My eldest daughter, Katie, had a bad case of constipation and stomach ache in the afternoon. Thank God my sister is here to take care of my kids, and that our pediatrician who is also a close friend of ours was at home to take my calls. Although Katie was excited to give Ellie her gift this evening, she didn't feel well enough to join the celebration in the hospital. My sister stayed at home with her while Rob and Ellie came to the hospital to celebrate Ellie's birthday. We'll just have to have another celebration at home with everybody. We were all relieved to know that Katie was feeling much better by 9pm.

Even if Ellie was sad to see her sister suffer, she still had a nice day overall. My sister, Verna, took the kids out for lunch and fancy yogurt, and also let Ellie pick her own birthday cake. Bessie was nice enough to get balloons, chocolate cake and a gift for the birthday girl. Rob and Ellie brought the dinner (Ellie's choice), cake, balloons and gift to my room, and the three of us celebrated there. I put up a banner for Ellie in my room using hospital materials to make the place look a little more festive. We missed having Katie and Verna with us in the hospital, but it still turned out to be a happy celebration - the birthday girl was very happy.

That's it for today. Please pray that the numbers will stay where they are or go up tomorrow so I can finally go home. We are all very excited. As always, thank you for your prayer and support, and may God bless you all.

3 comments:

  1. Psalm 116:1-9

    I love the LORD,
    for He heard my voice;
    He heard my cry for mercy.
    Because He turned His ear to me,
    I will call on Him as long as I live.

    The cords of death entangled me,
    the anguish of the grave came upon me;
    I was overcome by trouble and sorrow.
    Then I called on the name of the LORD:
    "O LORD, save me!"

    The LORD is gracious and righteous;
    our God is full of compassion.
    The LORD protects the simplehearted;
    when I was in great need,
    He saved me.

    Be at rest once more, O my soul,
    for the LORD has been good to you.

    For you, O LORD,
    have delivered my soul from death,
    my eyes from tears,
    my feet from stumbling,
    that I may walk before the LORD
    in the land of the living.

    Psalm 71:14

    But as for me,
    I will always have hope;
    I wil praise You more and more.

    -achie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will pray for the numbers to go up. Belated haberdey to Ellie! Yes, Val, with God anything is possible. Expect the best and claim it! God loves you and so do we. Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Achie, thanks for the verses.

    Geegee, thanks for praying. Will greet Ellie for you.

    ReplyDelete