Wednesday, September 2, 2009

9/2/09 - Neutropenia

It has been another beautiful day. The hospital was extra-busy today with many patients coming and going. I am just glad I can stay out of the way (I'm low maintenance now), so they can take care of the other patients who need their help more. I have come to appreciate the nurses, aides and even housekeeping during my stay here. I did not realize how busy they all get, and how they get pulled in all directions sometimes. Nursing is truly a noble profession and I admire people who enter the field with the desire to serve others. They are very special indeed.

I am recovering slowly. My white blood cells inched up to 1.3 today and my hemoglobin is holding steady. So what are we waiting for and when do I get to go home? It really depends on my ANC. Although it is important to keep track of my hemoglobin to know if I need more blood transfusion, and white blood cells to see if my bone marrow is producing new cells, the most significant number the doctor is looking at to determine whether I can go home is my absolute neutrophil count (ANC). This measures the amount of a certain type of white cells called neutrophils that fight against infection. Until yesterday, my neutrophils were so low they didn't even bother to measure it. I am considered neutropenic, and therefore, cannot have fresh flowers in my room or have fresh fruits or vegetables in my diet for fear of bacterial infection. I also get antibiotics dripped into my vein everyday. Yesterday, the ANC went up to 400 which still puts me at severe risk of infection. It stayed at 400 today. The magic number is 1000. Between 1000 and 1500, there is just a mild risk of infection.

The doctor is getting anxious about my blood count inching up so slowly, because they would also like me to be home for my daughter's birthday on the 8th. I may have to have another biopsy to see if they can give me a shot to speed up the white cell production. I am hoping that the blood count will just spike up by itself without having to have another biopsy just to see if I can be given a shot. Please pray that my bone marrow will be able to produce more white blood cell, especially neutrophils, so that I will be able to go home soon.

After shaving my head last night, I just put my cap back on, so by this morning, it was so full of hair that I just could not shake off. I called my sister to bring bandanas and caps when they visit me tonight, and just kept my head al fresco throughout the day. I couldn't help running my hand over the ultra-short hair just to feel the hair rubbing against my hands - it feels funny. It's also funny to see how even the very short hair still keep falling off. To protect my daughters from seeing me bald, I had to scramble for something to cover my head when they come to visit. Hmmm... what can I use? Tadaa! The pillowcase is just the right size to turn into a makeshift bandana! I was able to put it on just in time for their visit. The girls were appreciative of my effort, and I found a new resource for covering my head - not bad!

I just read some of the blog comments from yesterday. I am glad that my thoughts and writings had helped some people draw nearer to God. I am humbled that God would use me in this situation to reach people He wanted to draw closer to Him. One of my friends said, maybe this is one of the reasons why I got sick. Maybe so. Whatever God's reasons, I am positive that the good that will come out of my sickness will far outweigh whatever suffering I will have to go through during this time. God is too good to put me through this trial without having a perfectly good outcome in mind. And He loves me too much to let me go through what I will not be able to bear. And most importantly, I know He is taking care of me every step of the way - that's pretty liberating. I have no illusion of having any control over my situation, so I surrender all to the loving hands of my Father who loves me enough to give His only begotten son for me, and to Jesus who loves me enough to die on the cross for me - what greater love is there? To God be all the honor and glory and praise forever and ever. Amen.

Thank you all for praying for me and my family, and may God bless you all!

1 comment:

  1. Romans 8:28

    And we know that in all things
    God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

    Romans 8:38-39

    For I am convinced that
    neither death nor life,
    neither angels nor demons,
    neither the present nor the future,
    nor any powers,
    neither height nor depth,
    nor anything else in all creation,
    will be able to separate us
    from the love of God
    that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

    -achie

    ReplyDelete