Tuesday, September 1, 2009

9/1/09 - Morning by morning, new mercies I see

That's part of a song that comes to mind when I think of the blessings coming my way everyday. The rest of the song goes something like this: "Great is thy faithfulness, oh God, my Father. There is no shadow of turning with Thee. Thou changest not, thy compassion they fail not. Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me."

My blood count is slowly, but surely going up, inched up to 1.2 today and my hemoglobin went up to 8.0. The doctors are still of the opinion that I will be able to go home later this week. So far, so good.

The great news for today was regarding our medical insurance. I called up our benefits department to find out when our open enrollment is scheduled and told the person about my concerns regarding the $1M cap. I was told that my PPO medical insurance has NO LIMIT. I couldn't believe it! To be 100% sure, I called up the insurance company to verify. As it turns out, there is NO LIMIT as long as we stay in network, and the $1M lifetime limit only applies if we go outside the network. That's a huge blessing! I called Rob and my sister right away to share the good news. We were all so relieved! As many of us know by now, $1M can be quickly used up for Leukemia treatments. Thank God!

As usual, my family came to brighten up my day. My sister prepared a special soup for me and Bessie prepared some yummy noodles. Delicious! Thanks, Bessie and Verna!

After dinner, it was time to shave my head. I felt bad for Rob. He really misses my long hair, and now he had to shave off whatever was left of my short hair. The experience wasn't so bad for me. It was weird looking at the mirror and all I could see was my face, but I feel better just shaving the hair off than seeing clumps of hair falling on my bed and on the floor. Sooner or later, they're coming off, so why wait? I'm happy to know that my head is a nice shape, not pointy or flat. My kids refuse to see my shaved head. I have girlie girls, so seeing their mom bald may be too traumatic for their girlish sensibilities. Well, I've just joined the ranks of Demi Moore, Natalie Portman, and Britney Spears in looks - from the back, that is. :-)

That's it for today. Please keep praying for my bone marrow to produce good cells so I can be home before Ellie's birthday on the 8th. Thank you all for your continued prayer and support. May God bless you all.

7 comments:

  1. 1John 5:14-15

    This is the confidence
    we have in approaching God:
    that if we ask anything
    according to His will,
    He hears us.
    And if we know that He hears us -
    whatever we ask -
    we know that
    we have what we asked of Him.

    Jeremiah 17:7-8

    "But blessed is the man
    who trusts in the Lord,
    whose confidence is in Him.

    He will be like a tree
    planted by the water
    that sends out
    its roots by the stream.
    It does not fear
    when heat comes;
    its leaves are always green.
    It has no worries in a year of drought
    and never fails to bear fruit."

    -achie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val!

    God is good!

    We're praying for you.

    Rayms & Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val - Slowly but surely, that is so good. To come home to your daughter on her birthday, that is even better. We will expect pictures of the homecoming.

    I was sorry not to catch you on the phone, will try again though.

    Cheers,
    Sonjee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, You are in my thoughts and prayers and will keep on praying. You are a good person and will be forever blessed. You are so brave in your journey.I don't know you and you don't know me but your blog taught me and still teaching me how to pray to our God, I pray and go to church everyday but I feel guilty sometimes that my mind is not really in my prayers but you help me how to.I also could feel your love to your family,friends and i spreads to all. May God be w/ you always especially in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Val! You have a gift with words and I find myself smiling while reading your latest update. May the Good Lord continue to bless you and inspire you to share your faith journey with us. We are all the more richer and very blessed because of your blogs. Stay strong! Love, Nini

    ReplyDelete
  6. Achie, thanks for the beautiful verse!

    Rayms and Pinky, amen! God is so good!

    Sonjee, sorry I missed your call. I'm touched that you would call all the way from Sweden. Hope to catch your call next time.

    Nini, thanks for the kind words and prayers.

    Mr/Ms Anonymous, I am glad that you are drawing close to God. My mind also often wanders when I pray. God is a loving and understanding God. He is always pleased to hear from His children even if we do not concentrate very well when we pray. I hope that you will get to experience the goodness of God as He continues to reveal Himself to you. You can pray to Him anywhere, anytime, just like you would be talking to your best friend - and no need to twitter, too!

    - Val

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Val
    I went through the same experience. When my hair started to fall off after my chemo, I also just decided to shave everything off than to see the mess around my bed every morning. Seeing the fallen hair worried my kids more than it did me. So off they went. It also was not as bad as I thought it would be. Now, 2 months after my last chemo, the hair is beginning to grow at a daily basis. Mu kids are amazed that everyday, they seem to look thicker.
    God bless, Val! :)

    ReplyDelete