Monday, August 31, 2009

8/31/09 - Updates from the doctor

This is another good day! My white blood count inched up to 1.0 and my hemoglobin is holding steady at 7.7. Still good signs that my bone marrow is improving, and that I will most likely be going home sometime this week.

So, what's next? About a week after going home, I will have to see my doctor again to have my blood drawn for evaluation. Based on the result and another biopsy, it may mean starting my next round of chemo in a week or two. This will be a 6-day procedure that may be done at home if there is a Home Health Care company that is covered by my insurance, and authorized to administer chemo at home. Otherwise, I will have to have it done here in the hospital. According to the doctor, the second round of chemo will not be as bad as the first round, because my bone marrow will be in better shape and my blood count should be more stable. After chemo, I will once again be under special observation for potential infection, need for blood transfusion, etc. If such is the case, then I will have to be admitted to the hospital again for whatever needs to be done. Once I recover from the chemo, the next step will most likely be the bone marrow transplant. This will take some time to get logistically prepared for it, so it may not happen until a couple of months later.

So far, it seems like things are moving in the right direction. I am excited to go home soon! My hair is almost all gone, so I've decided to just shave it off rather than see clumps of hair messing up my bed and the floor. I'm kinda excited about it. This is my once in a lifetime chance to shave my head, and it may be fun. So, tomorrow, Rob will bring his razor. We use the razor for Rob's buzz cut and tomorrow, we'll get use it on me! We tried to convince our kids to shave their heads, too, for solidarity, but they didn't think that's such a good idea. :-)

That's it for today. Please continue to pray that my blood count will continue to rise so I can go home soon, and that my bone marrow will only produce good cells. And please continue to pray for our spiritual and emotional well-being. May God bless you all.

6 comments:

  1. "Lead me along the path.
    Lead me along the winding way.
    I trust enough to never need the why if You'll take me to the where.
    Lead me along the path.
    Lead me along the winding way.
    I don't know what's around the corner Lord, but I know that You'll be there."

    - Excerpt from "Lead Me" by Steve Taylor
    from Cam Floria's Dreamer: What Really Happened to Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romans 15:13

    May the God of hope
    fill you with all joy and peace
    as you trust in Him,
    so that you may overflow with hope
    by the power of the Holy Spirit.

    -achie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nehemiah 8:10

    ...for the joy of the Lord is your strength.

    -achie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, Valerie,

    We continue to pray for you, Rob, Katie, Ellie, and your families. We've been reading your blog in awe. The title you chose says it all. Your attitude and faith are tremendously inspiring. We hope to visit you at home. Can't wait to see the new look!

    Sincerely,
    Jovi, Carolina, and Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. tenten96@Hotmail.comSeptember 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM

    Tita Val, no news for so long... and then this... I am encouraged by your positive attitude (as always) and by seeing how God is working in your life. I have another Christian friend is going through a similar situation. She talks about how natural meds is helping ease the side effects of the chemo treatments. Check out her blog at annacarrion.blogspot.com.

    Search for the lyrics of Bebo Norman's "I Will Lift My Eyes" --- that's a favorite of mine these days.

    Gina Bas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mitch! That's one of my favorite songs in the Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat! I saw th musical in London when Donnie Osmond was playing the part when it first came out many years ago.

    How true, Achie!

    Thank you for your prayers, Carolina, Jovi and Emily! I'm not sure you'd like my new look. Rob and the kids didn't like it, but I do, and that's good enough for me.

    Gina, good to hear from you. Yes, I'm pretty dramatic, huh? I'll check out your friend's blog. Thanks for your prayers!

    - Val

    ReplyDelete