Sunday, August 9, 2009

8/5/09 - Tests, tests, and more tests

It was nighttime by the time we I admitted to the Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena. We had fond memories of this hotel, because both our kids were born here. They try to make the patients in this hotel feel like they're not in a hospital that I often mistakenly call it a hotel. It's a blessing that my insurance can cover my stay here. Double blessing that one of my best friends is a nurse in the oncology department!

When we got to my room, I saw the third blessing - a room with a view! I have the view of the mountain range and lush trees. According to the nurse, only patients on this side of the 6th floor get the nice view. I even got a wide screen plasma TV, a wi-fi and a big bathroom! God really loves me.

Robert and the girls said good-bye and the flurry of activities began: nurses, aides, and technicians were in and out of my room taking my blood pressure, temperature, blood oxygen level, I got interviewed, poked for more blood and for the drip, and got my first first taste of blood - and I don't mean the Filipino dish "dinuguan". I got 2 units of blood (700 ml) - yum! By the way, found out my blood type is A+, just like my grades at school! ha! ha! ha!

Morning came and the flurry of activities started again: more measuring, more poking, more blood, and this time the doctor came to do the biopsy. The doctor gave me some lidocaine and stuck 2 needles through my back hips to my bone marrow. OOOOOOUCH!!! It was like giving birth all over again!

It takes 24 hours to get the results of the biopsy, so the rest of the day was uneventful except for the lingering pain from the biopsy. It allowed me to place more phone calls and get more administrative things done.

The text messages and phone calls to and from my family in the Manila made me realize again how much my family means to me, and how blessed I am to have been part of that family!

No comments:

Post a Comment