Thursday, August 27, 2009

8/27/09 - Waiting game

As the doctor said, it is now a waiting game. We have to wait for my blood count to go up high enough for it to be safe enough for me to be discharged. Everything seems to be improving, but my hemoglobin had gone down slightly and my white blood cell count got stuck at 0.4 the last 3 days. It went up by 0.1 a few days ago. The normal count is 4.1 and up. The doctor says that my bone marrow is still having a hard time generating new cells, and that we just have to wait. In the meantime, they still give me several antibiotics and anti-fungal medication for my colon and fever. Once again, I am being given a lesson in patience. But, I need it now! :-)

This has been another good and uneventful day. LA has had 3 wildfires in the last 2 days - it's just been too dry and too hot. I could see one of them from my window. It's kinda scary to see the fire and smoke. Isn't it humbling to realize that with all the knowledge and technology we have these days, we are still at the mercy of the forces of nature?

I got lots of goodies tonight when my family came to visit. All the gifts and cards that have been accumulating at home finally found its way to me. yey! They really cheered me up. Vic, thanks for your CDs. I am sure they will help me along this journey. Tes, Mariette, Dennis and Tong, thanks for the cards and the extra stuff that came with it. Cynch, I finally saw your books! Katie had already read the book for the girls, and Ellie is in the process of reading it now. I think it will help them with the situation. Thanks for the books for me, too, of course. To Olive, the Uys, Rectos, thanks for sending the books. I have received 2 of them, and I believe the third one should be on its way. Bessie, thanks for the yummy Fettucine Alfredo. That was one of the best I have ever had! We all enjoyed it very much. Thank you.

That's it for today. Another good day to be alive! Please pray that my bone marrow will be strong enough to generate new and beautiful cells, so I can go home soon. Thanks for all your prayers, support, words of encouragement, and may God bless you all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Val,

    Me and the family are praying for your early recovery and for you to come out on top with this challenge in life.

    Sure did not know there is a cap in the insurance. Not sure how to help you, but make sure to let me know.

    Sincerely

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your prayers and offer to help, Willie! Not all insurance have a cap. The type of insurance I have is a PPO (more choices with hospitals and doctors) but with a lifetime cap of $1M, so I have to eventually switch to one that doesn't have a cap just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete