Wednesday, August 12, 2009

8/12/09 - Day 6 of Chemo

I stayed up too late last night blogging. tsk! tsk! tsk! Won't do it again tonight - that was foolish. I woke up late this morning to really good news - Cristina, my best friend in LA, has been assigned to be my nurse today. Yehey! I know I will be in good hands, and I will get to see more of her.

Sixth day of chemo and no side effects so far except for the slight soar throat and semi-diarrhea (the milk of magnesia worked too well).

I'm getting to the crucial part of the treatment. Just one day left of chemo, that means only one day left for the drug to wipe out all the bad cells in my body and in my bone marrow. Please pray really hard that all the bad cells will be wiped out all the way to my bone marrow. Also pray that even sources of future bad cells will be wiped out - this part is science fiction, because I have no idea why some cells come out good and some cells come out bad. You can have your own version of the sci-fi, just pray that once the bad cells are gone, that they will never, ever reappear.

With my white blood cells almost wiped out leaving my body defenseless against any bacteria or virus, please pray that I will not suffer from any problems in my major organs (kidney, liver, heart, lungs), and all the other potential side effects of chemo.

On the lighter side, do you know how astronauts wash their hair in outer space? They use a shampoo cap. Seriously! I used it today - it was first invented for astronauts I was told. It looks like a shower cap with gooey stuff inside when microwaved. Then, just put the cap on, massage the scalp, and dry the hair. High tech, huh? Too bad it didn't work very well. I would still rather shampoo my hair the old fashioned way. Interesting, though.

I had a restful day today - no visitors except my favorite visitors - Rob, Katie & Ellie. I was finally able to respond to messages that's been sitting in my inbox for days. Once again, I am touched by all the kind words and words of encouragement flowing from my friends and relatives. Just knowing that many people are rooting for me and praying for my healing gives me a boost - no need for the Monster drink. Also got the great news that my sister, Verna, will be arriving in a couple of weeks!

I'm getting sleepy. Boy, the chemo is so toxic that my tears sting my eyes! The chemo drug passes out of my body through my tears, sweat and urine. I was required to cover the receptacle that collects my urine because the fumes are toxic. Why collect it? They want to keep track of my fluid intake and urine to make sure my kidney is working properly. Sorry to those who find this part offensive.

Okay, time to get ready for bed. I thank God for another good day. Thank you once again for your prayers. Please keep praying for me and my family.

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate the update! Still praying. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete