Sunday, August 9, 2009

8/6/09 - "You have Leukemia"

The oncologist who took my biopsy came back with the diagnosis: "It is confirmed. You have Leukemia." What I have is Acute Myelogenous Leukemia or AML, type M1. The most likely treatment for me will be 2 rounds of chemotherapy, then a bone marrow transplant - 70% probability. There's a 20% chance that it may take more than 2 rounds of chemotherapy before a bone marrow transplant can be done, and a 10% chance that I won't survive.

The best source of stem cells for the bone marrow transplant is from siblings. Each sibling has a 1/4 chance of being a cell match. With 6 siblings, I have a very good chance to have a match in my family. A blood sample from them will uncover who is/are my cell match. Although I am relieved to know that I have so many siblings who are potential donors, and that any one of them will be more than willing to do this for me, I couldn't bear the thought of any of them having to go through any kind of pain because of me! Not to mention someone having to leave their family for 2 months to be in LA for the procedure.

I requested for a second opinion from the oncologist recommended by Cristina, my friend who works there. In her view, there was not enough data available at this time to conclude that a bone marrow transplant is required. After the first round of chemo, more tests will be done to determine the next step. Best case scenario is 4 months of chemo and I'm done. Worst case scenario is bone marrow transplant. Of course, there's also a slight chance that I may not survive it. Whew! I hope I won't need a bone marrow transplant. That's good news.

It was a huge blessing that Christina knows these doctors well enough to recommend the best doctor for me. In my brief interaction with both doctors and based on their diagnosis, recommendation and personalities, I think I will be a happier patient with Cristina's recommendation. Thank you, Lord!

Robert and I wasted no time in spreading the news and asking for prayers from family and friends. Time to gear up and fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment